I imagine this will be to do with the cookie and session cookie settings
you have set for those browsers. My guess is you have Firefox set to
clear them when closed, but not with Chromium.

Store cookies *was* on in Chromium and off in Firefox. Turning it off in
Chromium didn't stop the behaviour.

BTW. I get the same behaviour with Konquerer and it doesn't seem to have any
Settings relevant to cookies (or anything else much).

It might be an issue with ‘https’, as Chrome is very fussy about this nowadays. Not sure whether Chromium is the same, but it is likely to be.

You can view what cookies are stored in the ‘inspector’, so worth checking whether any are stored for an ‘http’ rather than ‘https’ connection.