On 29/08/2022 09:33, Peter Merchant wrote:
I was curious, so I took the water from the kettle and put it in a pot on the stove. It was very close to 500ml.

Watching the gas meter while it boiled it used 0.014 m(cubed) of gas, which converted to 0.15788Kwh and at my current rate of 7.123p/Kwh cost me 1.1.25p to boil up.

Unfortunately I can't see my electricity meter easily to see what it costs me to boil that amount in the kettle or by Microwave. Does anybody have that facility?  And also there is always other electricity being used.

Peter,

I have a SMART Meter with associated In-Home Display (IHD) which is telling me that my current electricity consumption is 85W, however, it is continuously varying between ~25 W and ~220 W. Presumably, I could see how much the consumption increases when I boil the kettle but I would then have to calculate the total consumption against minutes and convert it to KWh and even then the result would be a bit iffy.

You can get gadgets that measure the electricity consumption at the 'incomer' (at the meters).  ( I have one which I use to measure the amount of juice being generated by my solar Panels) and you can also get ones that do the same for a single socket. If anyone has such a beast, then I think that the most accurate result could be obtained that way.

Of course if we know the efficiency of the kettle we could calculate it!