On 07/07/2023 19:25, Hamish McIntyre-Bhatty via dorset wrote:

Hamish,
Yes, there are compatibility issues with newer versions of mysql/mariadb
clients and the old version of mysql the server uses, which is why the
installation spec says to use an older version of python-mysqlclient, amongst
other things.
Yes.   I was aware of that, but was distracted by being unable to log in via SSH, let alone the MySQL Client.
I'm surprised the users I created aren't showing up there, but I can't take a
look for myself as the VPN isn't working at my end.
Can you suggest where I should look?