I have Thunderbird, with three email accounts, Gmail NTLWorld and Windriders.co.uk (I own the domain)

In Outgoing Server (SMTP) under Edit >> Account settings >> Outgoing Server (SMTP) each of the above three email accounts has its own SMTP entry, with NTLword (now Virgin) set as default address.

When I write an email at the top above the To box I have a From line and at the far right of the is a drop down arrow where I can select anyone of the three smtp servers. As far as I know Thunderbird will send out to my selected SMTP server.

Tim H