While on the topic of drives on Pi's; I did read this post by Jeff Geerling the
other day.
Might be something worth looking into if you won't benefit from the additional
bandwidth and features of NVMe.

https://www.jeffgeerling.com/blog/2024/radxas-sata-hat-makes-compact-pi-5-nas

Seems somewhat interesting if you were, say, to build a small NAS.
I'm not too sure how well ZFS or whatever filesystem you decide to use would
fair performance-wise when used in RAID but seems to be worth a deeper dive
into.
I wonder if I could get SATA and NVMe running as some kind of cache, with the
SATA drives being used for mass storage?

I have seen people make some fairly interesting boards for the Pi `Compute
Modules`, which might be worth looking into too at some point, but I am also
looking into some of the non-pi SBCs like the Pine64 and Radxa's for a project,
so who knows where that will go.