On Tue, 15 May 2007, Timo Sirainen wrote:

* Logging

Logging to eg. /var/log/dovecot.log by default would be helpful here,

Personally, I found logging to a separate file helpful during setting up Dovecot, because you can focus on Dovecot that way.

* Authentication

So the last "n failed authentications" could be added, where n could
also be 0.

This message is user-specific, isn't it?
How about a login-statistics of the last 10 or so attempts? Maybe one can use the utmp/wtmp service.

rip=127.0.0.1, lip=127.0.0.1, secured, 1 failed authentications (set
auth_debug_passwords=yes to debug the problem)"

It usually is not enough to set the option, I think.
Shouldn't it be: "read doc/debug_auth_problems.txt"
with one of the first text therein "set auth_debug_passwords=yes"

* Mail location

It seems to be difficult for some people to set mail_location. I don't

IMHO: It looks wierd first, but the doc is OK.
The most problem for myself was that it's spelled maildir:%h/maildir
rather than maildir=%h/maildir, I mean anything else is in key=value format.

"Home directory is used in mail_location, but userdb didn't return a
home directory"

It would be nice if it didn't say userdb, but rather the userdb's name.

When the userdb is logged, you could add a note that the particular userdb is user-specific, but mentioned in the logs.

* Mail permissions

Another possibility would be to drop the dovecot user completely and
instead use "nobody". That would mean that other nobody processes could
kill Dovecot's login processes, but that's pretty much it.

I would say no :-) Stick with a specific user.
Otherwise, if it is still possible to run Dovecot with a specific user, ... . I like to see in ps or top, which process belongs to which "package" at easy glancing.

Add new "mail_uid" and "mail_gid" settings to dovecot.conf. Deprecate
user_global_uid/gid in dovecot-ldap.conf and make all the userdbs
mention that the uid/gid returned by userdb can be used to override the
global mail_uid/gid. Perhaps also add "mail_home" template. This change
makes it unnecessary to have a userdb configured at all.

- "How do I tell Dovecot to run as vmail user?"
- "Set mail_uid = vmail" in dovecot.conf
- "Thanks"

As long as this is transparent, I mean, one need no "mail_uid" in the LDAP backends, this might solve lots of vmail support requests. If I see it correct, this effectively makes userdb static the default - without explizit userdb { } block. BTW: Is mail_home the same as mail_location then?

Bye,

- -- Steffen Kaiser