In running the various 1.0.n versions of Dovecot's LDA with the instructions in the wiki for using LDA with Postfix [on OS X 10.4] things went well using the instructions as-is (no setuid problems).

This changed in moving over to the 1.1 beta. The LDA refused to work failing with the error "setgroups() failed: Operation not permitted" as I mentioned in a previous message. After reading the exchange between Bill Cole and Rich Winkel and following up on this, it seems that the new 1.1b wants you to give the Deliver app specific setuid permission via:

cd /path/to/where/dovecot's/deliver/is

sudo chmod u+s deliver

Then things worked as before. There was no need to give the group 's' permission nor to change ownership of deliver from the default root:staff or root:wheel or whomever... . The error message seems odd though.

I am not sure if, overall, this means there is a problem in Dovecot 1.0.n or that things are being tightened up in 1.1b.

Thanks Bill and Rich for the tip!

                Jerry Yeager