From: Bill Cole <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

(stuff cut out)

That looks like a bug. A program that calls setgroups() must be
running as root. It seems to me that a code path leading to such a
call should probably be able to identify that issue before the call
and provide a better failure message than translating EPERM into its
standard meaning....

The interesting question would be: why does deliver want to call
setgroups() at all?

I am not sure why it would need to do this either. It (deliver) is not handing things off to another app to finish things up.

<snip><snip>

I'd love to take credit, but I thought that was about the LDA with
Sendmail, which is rather different, and Rich was running 1.0.3...

In any event, I won't go so far as to say that running deliver as
setuid root is actively dangerous, but it feels wrong to me and I
wouldn't do it. That may be from too much exposure to bizarre attacks
through delivery agents in the Dark Ages.

That it works without being setuid on Linux is a touch odd.

The mystery deepens!

I have it (deliver) in a restricted access folder as a standard safety precaution, but as most of these "jails" end up being only safe for a short time I have again gone back to using Postfix as the deliver.

Timo has from time to time mentioned that he was thinking that deliver needed to be rewritten. hmmm.

I still give you and Rich credit though, if you had not mentioned the ideas behind Sendmail and LDA, it would most likely taken much longer before I read that wiki entry and gave that approach a try, instead of trying to find the missing setting for changing groups that the error message wants fixed.

--
Bill Cole
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Message: 7