On Mar 7, 2008, at 8:56 AM, Gerhard Wiesinger wrote:

Updating dovecot.index.log is enough. v1.0 unneededly wastes disk I/ O writing to dovecot.index way too often.

I don't think this is wasted disk I/O updating indexes as soon as possible. When the mailbox (mbox) is read afterwards on large mboxes there is much more waste in reading large files.

You misunderstood what I meant. dovecot.index isn't updated/created always, because dovecot.index.log already contains all the necessary data to build dovecot.index file (which is what Dovecot internally does).

e.g. When deliver would write e.g. 3 mails with 40 MB:
1.) with indexes
write large mailbox
update small index

reopen: