On Apr 4, 2008, at 12:50 AM, Jack McKinney wrote:
        Hmmm... what versions of OpenLDAP and Dovecot are you using?

A lot of people have them working with different LDAP versions. I've Debian unstable's OpenLDAP 2.1.30.dfsg-13.5.

I note
that you got a result of "uid(user)=foo", from which I guess that you
had pass_attrs set to user=uid or some such.
        I tried adding a pass_attrs of user=mail, in case the problem is that
without requested fields, the code in dovecot doesn't return anything.
It didn't work; it still hangs and times out after 3 minutes.

Check with wireshark if it shows that LDAP server really sends the reply. Then you could find out if it's a problem on the OpenLDAP client side or server/network side.