/etc/ldap/sldap.conf:
access to attr=uid,homeDirectory,uidNumber
        by anonymous read

        I do not have this in my configuration, and dovecot does indeed use the
credential I provide to successfully query LDAP for the user based on
the (mail=%u) criteria.  However, it does not see the reply.
        The fact that it does perform the query successfully implies to me that
it does not use an anonymous connection.  Very puzzling.

i have no idea what dovecot is doing :-) from the log file it looks like there are 2 queries to ldap: 1. to check provided password for provided user name, 2. to find a user related information (and from what Steffen wrote this one is done with anonymous user - correct?).

[on the margin: why isn't it done in one query: get me the user related information, i am binding with provided user and with provided password. this way it would be one query for two things.]

in my case, i cannot list user related information from ldap in anonymous connection even from command line, using: ldapsearch -x -b 'ou=Users,dc=frontline' '(&(objectClass=posixAccount)(uid=wojtek))' homeDirectory

so i guess that i have to workout ldap settings for anonymous query. my /etc/ldap/slapd.conf related to access permissions is:

access to dn.children="ou=Users,dc=frontline" attrs=uid,homeDirectory,uidNumber
       by anonymous read
access to attrs=userPassword,sambaNTPassword,sambaLMPassword
        by dn="cn=admin,dc=frontline" write
        by anonymous auth
        by self write
        by * none
access to dn.children="ou=Users,dc=frontline"
        by dn="cn=root,ou=Users,dc=frontline" read
        by anonymous auth
        by self write
access to dn.base="" by * read
access to *
        by dn="cn=admin,dc=frontline" write
        by * read

maybe the problem is here... any hints please?

regards, Wojtek