On Aug 8, 2008, at 5:06 PM, Stephen Feyrer wrote:

Thanks, I will persevere. I would like to point out that I'm only using PAM as it seems the best way to get email to system users. I am open to another method that might work.

Anything that allows you to log in without password checking. For example a passwd-file containing only valid usernames and nopassword field. Or maybe SQLite query always returning success.

My pam.d/imap file now looks like this.

# Provided by mailbase (dont remove this line!)
# Standard pam.d file for mail service packages.
# $Header: /var/cvsroot/gentoo-x86/net-mail/mailbase/files/common- pamd-include,v 1.1 2005/04/29 13:07:50 ticho Exp $

#auth       required     pam_nologin.so
auth       required     pam_allow.so
auth       include      system-auth
account    include      system-auth
session    include      system-auth

This fails the authentication.

Yes, because you're still doing a system-auth lookup. You want to allow anyone to log in with any user/pass combination, so only keep the pam_allow.so line there.