I agree. In fact, I may have found a DNS issue that may have been causing login sessions to hang and thus reach max too quickly. The last few hours have been stable. So, I am keeping my fingers crossed.

I have also recompiled dovecot and changed the setting in db-ldap.h that reads:

#define DB_LDAP_MAX_QUEUE_SIZE 1024

#define DB_LDAP_MAX_QUEUE_SIZE 8192

I have not implemented this change yet as the system has been stable for a few hours. If it happens again, I will implement this change which will hopefully allow my queued logins to reach 8192, rather than 1024, before crashing.

I have considered IMAPproxy. This will likely make things better, but will also not fix the underlying issue.

Plus, I am a bit worried about leaving about 5000 imap sessions open on my server at one time. It's a bit scary. Any opinions on this?

Dave

Quoting Jakob Hirsch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

David Cunningham wrote:

I have about 5 Thousand users using horde that login ever 1-5 minutes to refresh their page. I assume it is a setting, but I am confused as to

This may not related to the real reason of your problem, but I
recommend  up-imapproxy (http://www.imapproxy.org/) for such setups,
which caches connections (and therefore logins). You could try to
enable dovecot's auth_cache instead.