On February 7, 2009 2:19:59 AM -0500 Timo Sirainen <t...@iki.fi> wrote:

On Feb 7, 2009, at 1:47 AM, Frank Cusack wrote:

    for (i = j = 0;
removed this warning, and removed my doubts :-)

Should be
for (i = (j = 0);

a = b = ... is not legal, although gcc does accept it.

Really? I've seen a=b=c like code for a long time. But I can't say
exactly where C99 would allow that. Anyway I'd think parenthesis only
affect precedence ordering, not whether something is allowed or not.

Well now, there's lot of code you might see which isn't correct, e.g.
the very common #!/bin/sh but the code is actually a bash script.

In this case though, I believe Jack is correct and it is legal.  I don't
know where I got the idea it was invalid.  Well, I do know but I won't
embarrass myself further. :)

-frank