On 31. mai. 2009, at 06.00, to...@tuxteam.de wrote:

On Sat, May 30, 2009 at 11:25:58PM +0200, Roy Sigurd Karlsbakk wrote:
On 30. mai. 2009, at 00.03, Scott Silva wrote:
[...]
AFAIK an "updatedb" (as in locate/slocate) [...]

This won't help with the original poster's problem (which is in helping
the kernel to cope with huge directories). The OP's problem is at the
kernel level, locate is an application (albeit a nice one).

My reply was about how to update the directory index after adding it to a ext3 filesystem. The original poster's problem was about large _files_, not directories. ext3 can handle large directories without problems (except that the maximum number of subdirectories in one directory is fixed to 32000). Also, files opened with O_LARGEFILE, can be up to 2TB on ext3.

roy
--
Roy Sigurd Karlsbakk
(+47) 97542685 / 98013356