On Sun, 22 Nov 2009, Charles Marcus wrote:

On 11/22/2009, Maarten Bezemer (mcbdove...@robuust.nl) wrote:
But at least now that I moved the Outlook.pst and
outlooku...@servername-000002.pst to a samba share, it is useable.
Still puzzled as to why they decided to store those in de
LocalSettings instead of in the normal user profile or a standard
network share...

They store them there because Microsft recommends against storing .PST
files on network shareas... always have. Things can break really badly.

That said, I have heard some people claim they have been doing this for
a long time and never gotten bit.

I've seen PST's breaking for other reasons as well, even when still in LocalSettings. And I've never seen a PST get broken up to the point where the scanpst.exe tool couldn't fix it. Plus, we can do regular backups of all PSTs during the night, which only leaves 1 day's worth of appointments getting lost. Email can be synced from the IMAP server. Still, I'd rather not have the PST contain emails: that's what we use IMAP for.

And, with Windows2003 terminal server running as a virtual machine on top of the Linux server that hosts the samba shares, chances of network shares being unavailable to the windows server are quite slim ;-)

--
Maarten