Quoting "Carlos Williams" <carlosw...@gmail.com>:

On Thu, Feb 25, 2010 at 3:08 PM, Rick Romero <r...@havokmon.com> wrote:
Yikes!  I thought this was a private install. :(  The namespace would be a
pretty radical change.  It tells dovecot how to present folders.

I'm not a namespace guru - but I'm fairly sure that's the issue.
http://wiki.dovecot.org/Namespaces

I would suggest creating an alternate config file, using different ports and
system directories, to test a namespace change.

It's OK. It appears to not have impacted any existing data. Perhaps
just changes how the new folders are managed.

Yep.

I did see a file in my
Maildir called 'subscriptions' and when I opened it with a text
editor, it had the old invalid IMAP directory structure...should I
delete or rename this file on my mailbox and then restart the client
to force it to re-build this subscriptions file?

The subscriptions file is only used by the MUAs, and you can set them to ignore it. I would just tell the MUAs to ignore it. You can safely delete it - except if you have an MUA that is using it then the folders will disappear...

I suppose if you have a PDA and a huge folder structure you might have the PDA use subscriptions and trim down the folder list...

I would 'start fresh' and remove it.