Quoting Marc Perkel <m...@perkel.com>:

Some new SSDs use SATA 3 (6gb/sec) with 355/mb/sec read speeds and 215MB/sec write. Put these in raid 0 and it screams! Can you imagine how fast that would be?

I'd never raid-0 anything important...

What would be nice is if new email were on faster drives with old email being migrated to larger mechanical cheaper storage. Perhaps messages over a month old? From dovecot's perspective it would sort of all look the same but maybe one a week a script would run migrating older messages to slower media.

I used to do something "similar" in that the user's inbox was on fast
disk, and all their other folders (assumes IMAP for the most part) were
on slower disks.  A cronjob would run once a month that locks the inbox,
selects and mail older than 6 months, and moves it to a folder called
"old-mail" -- thus migrating any 6+ month old mail from fast to slow
storage...

I suppose you could adapt that, maybe with a shorter time period (1 month
would seem okay, not sure about anything shorter).

I know this isn't exactly what you want or asked for, but it is an idea
based on a past implementation which worked well.

I'm not sure what it would take to make dovecot seamlessly access email from two different locations or if this is practical. Just wanted to throw the idea out there to see if something sticks.

Well, different folders make it a snap...  If you don't want to re-folder,
then it may not be so easy (I'll let someone else answer that).

--
Eric Rostetter
The Department of Physics

Go Longhorns!