On 12/23/2010 3:13 PM, Marc Perkel wrote:
I wonder if there's any way to do this. Say there are two different
storage devices mounted as follows:

/slow-hard-drive/email-directory
/fast-ssd-drive/email-directory

Now suppose there were a way to join these drives so that you could
access them as a single directory:

/joined-drive/email-directory

The Dovecot could see the joined drive but my backup/archiving scripts
could see the drives independently and move old data from the fast
drives to the slow drives.

I think back in the old DOS days you could do that. Is there a way in
Linux to do the same thing? Join two directories so as to make them look
like one?

This is getting rather far from Dovecot, but I believe you're looking
for unionfs: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UnionFS