On 08/19/2011 03:07 PM, Felipe Scarel wrote:
Thanks, I've read some of the FAQ and install instructions and it seems
pretty straightforward... I wish I could use Solaris but we're virtualizing
everything on our Dell blade through VMWare ESXi and it's somewhat of a
"company policy" to use the template Debian that's maintained by the senior
sysadmin.

Ahh, "company policies"...restricting innovation and hampering productivity and efficiencty for decades!

About the compression, I've read some benchmarks/tests and the default lzjb
algorithm seems to be a good cost/benefit for the usual applications.
Without many reads to the filesystem, gzip compresses a whole lot better
tho.

I agree. I'm running a biggish Usenet news server in a similar configuration, but with compression enabled. I'm getting compression ratios of 1.26x with a ~12GB news spool, using gzip compression. I was expecting a bit more compression, but I'm certainly not complaining.

                -Dave

--
Dave McGuire
Port Charlotte, FL