On 24.6.2012, at 23.20, Christian Rößner wrote:

>>> I have an interesting problem: I am building dovecot packages for Ubuntu
>>> since 10.04. Never had bigger trouble with it. Now since 2.1.6 or 2.1.7 (I
>>> can not say more precisely), Thunderbird 10ESR and Outlook 2010 can no
>>> longer use 143/TLS correctly. Automx delvers 143/TLS and Outlook tells me
>>> that it can not create a secure connection. I changed automx to use 993/SSL
>>> and everything works. Under Thunderbird 10ESR, I get a box that tells me
>>> that I need to change settings. When I sent mail, TB told me that it could
>>> not copy the mail to the sent folder. I also changed to 993/SSL and
>>> everything is perfect.
>>>
>>> At the other and, Apples Mail.app and iOS devices work perfectly over
>>> 143/TLS. So my guess is that it has to do with OpenSSL. Did something
>>> change in dovecot concerning TLS? Can I change options in the built process?
>>
>> What was the Dovecot version you were using previously which worked?
>
> I am not sure which version worked. My best guess is 2.1.4 or 2.1.5, because
> I skipped 2.1.6. But 2.1.6 has the same issues, as my friend Uwe did report
> the same issues with that one.

Well, there hasn't been many changes in the SSL code. The only thing I can
think of is this memory leak fix, which temporarily wasn't implemented
correctly. You could try what happens if you revert it:

changeset:   14418:85ad4baedd43
user:        Timo Sirainen <t...@iki.fi>
date:        Thu Apr 12 10:48:55 2012 +0300
summary:     login: Another attempt at fixing SSL memory leak.

changeset:   14417:f80f18d0ffa3
user:        Timo Sirainen <t...@iki.fi>
date:        Thu Apr 12 10:41:44 2012 +0300
summary:     login: Reverted memory leak fix, because it broke some SSL setups?

changeset:   14416:584bd77c38fd
user:        Timo Sirainen <t...@iki.fi>
date:        Wed Apr 11 19:06:44 2012 +0300
summary:     Memory leak fixes.