I'm trying to get Dovecot working with Virtual Users and Sendmail on
OpenIndiana 151a7.  OpenIndiana is the Open Source continuation of OpenSolaris
after Oracle tried to kill it off a couple of years ago shortly after acquiring
Sun Microsystems.

I'm not sure if this is so much a Dovecot problem, as much of a Sendmail
problem.  I thought this would probably be a better list to start with, though.
 If not, please let me know.

I initially used this Dovecot wiki page to approach this:
Simple Virtual User Installation

http://wiki2.dovecot.org/HowTo/SimpleVirtualInstall

I had to make few minor changes, but I don't think anything significant to the
problem I'm having.

I can log into SquirrelMail with both virtual users, and with system users.

I can send mail to system users from both virtual and system users.

I can see the mail that I sent in the Sent Messages folder for both types of
users.

I just can't send mail to virtual users.  When I try to, I get the following
message:

ERROR:
Message not sent. Server replied:
Requested action not taken: mailbox unavailable
550 5.1.1 <dswebstore@localhost>... User unknown
My configuration info is as follows:

systemuser@openindiana:~# /usr/local/sbin/dovecot --version
2.1.12

systemuser@openindiana:~# /usr/local/sbin/dovecot -n
# 2.1.12: /usr/local/etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf
# OS: SunOS 5.11 i86pc
auth_verbose = yes
base_dir = /var/run/dovecot/
disable_plaintext_auth = no
first_valid_uid = 101
info_log_path = /var/log/dovecot-info.log
log_path = /var/log/dovecot.log
mail_location = mbox:/home/vmail/%u/mail:INBOX=/var/mail/%u
passdb {
  args = /usr/local/etc/dovecot/passwd
  driver = passwd-file
}
pop3_uidl_format = %g
protocols = imap pop3
service auth {
  unix_listener auth-userdb {
    group = vmail
    mode = 0600
    user = vmail
  }
}
ssl = no
userdb {
  args = uid=vmail gid=vmail home=/home/vmail/%u
  driver = static
}
protocol lda {
  postmaster_address = systemuser@localhost
}

---

My dovecot password file looks something like this, though changed for obvious
security reasons:

systemuser:{PLAIN} systemuserPASS
virtualuser1:{PLAIN}virtualuser1PASS
virtualuser2:{PLAIN}virtualuser2PASS

---

I read on this page that I needed to put the following in my sendmail
dovecot.m4 file:

Dovecot LDA with Sendmail
http://wiki2.dovecot.org/LDA/Sendmail

So this is my dovecot.m4 file, which shows up in my sendmail.cf file after
recompiling my sendmail.mc file.

######################*****##############
###   DOVECOT Mailer specification                              ###
##################*****##################
Mdovecot,   P=/usr/local/libexec/dovecot/dovecot-lda, F=DFMPhnu9,
                 S=EnvFromSMTP/HdrFromSMTP, R=EnvToSMTP/HdrFromSMTP,
                 T=DNS/RFC822/X-Unix,
                 A=/usr/local/libexec/dovecot/dovecot-lda -d $u

---

Finally, this is my sendmail.mc file:

divert(-1)
#
# Copyright (c) 1983 Eric P. Allman
# Copyright (c) 1988, 1993
#       The Regents of the University of California.  All rights reserved.
#
# Copyright 2009 Sun Microsystems, Inc.  All rights reserved.
# Use is subject to license terms.
#
#  This is a configuration file for SunOS 5.8 (a.k.a. Solaris 8) and later
#  subsidiary machines.  It has support for local and SMTP mail.  The
#  confFALLBACK_SMARTHOST macro is enabled, which means that messages will
#  be sent to that host (which is set to mailhost.$m [$m is the local domain])
#  if MX records are unavailable.  A short-cut rule is also defined, which
#  says if the recipient host is in the local domain, send to it directly
#  instead of the smart host.
#
#  If you want to customize this further, copy it to a name appropriate
#  for your environment and do the modifications there.
#

divert(0)dnl
VERSIONID(`sendmail.mc (Sun)')
OSTYPE(`solaris8')dnl
DOMAIN(`solaris-generic')dnl
define(`confFALLBACK_SMARTHOST', `mailhost$?m.$m$.')dnl

define(`PROCMAIL_MAILER_PATH',`/usr/bin/procmail')dnl
FEATURE(local_procmail,`',`procmail -t -Y -a $h -d $u')dnl

MAILER(`local')dnl
MAILER(`smtp')dnl

MAILER(`procmail')dnl
MAILER(`dovecot')dnl

LOCAL_NET_CONFIG
R$* < @ $* .$m. > $*    $#esmtp $@ $2.$m $: $1 < @ $2.$m. > $3

---

I think it is obvious that it is a problem with Sendmail not recognizing
Dovecot's virtual users.  But how do I fix it?

If anyone could help me with this, I would *greatly* appreciate it.  I've been
picking away at this for about three weeks now, and I'm pretty much out of
ideas of anything else to try.

Cordially,

Peter, hieromonk

----