On 01/01/2013 06:40 PM, dormitionsk...@hotmail.com wrote:
> On Jan 1, 2013, at 10:31 AM, Andrzej A. Filip wrote:
>
>> On 12/31/2012 04:19 AM, dormitionsk...@hotmail.com wrote:
>>> [...]
>> 1) Do you use virtual users with or without domain part?
>> [virtual-user or virtual-u...@exaple.net ]
>
> Without.
>
> virtual-user
>

>> 2) How many entries do you have in paswdb/userdb files?
>> [<100,<1000,....]
> <100
>
> Around 10.
>

>> 3) Is SMTP AUTH crucial for virtual users?
>>
> No.  I'd like it, but it's not crucial.
>
> We don't have it now for anyone.  The only way we access our email outside
> the monastery is through SquirrelMail.  I was hoping to add that with this
> server upgrade.  It'd be nice to open our email access up more, but we can
> live without it if we have to.
Based on the above replies I would suggest first modified version of the
recipe below. There are many other ways but it seems to best fit your
case with simple and stable changes to sendmail.mc/sendmail.cf.
  http://anfi.homeunix.org/sendmail/localNalias.html

1) In *.mc file add
LOCAL_CONFIG
# declare DOVECOT "magic word"
CPDOVECOT

2) Deliver messages to *@DOVECOT using dovecot mailer [requires
FEATURE(`mailertable')].
mailertable:
DOVECOT dovecot:localhost

3) Do not accept messages to *@DOVECOT via SMTP [requires
FEATURE(`access_db') and FEATURE(`blacklist_recipients')] access:
to:DOVECOT REJECT

4) create aliases for virtualusers (one alias per one virtual user)
aliases:
virtualuser1: virtualuser1@DOVECOT
virtualuser2: virtualuser2@DOVECOT

Comments about "narrowing" questions:
1) case with domain part is usually more complex
2) sendmail may be configured to check recipient existence in dovecot's
userdb/paswdb files but it would use method I would not recommend for
bigger userdb/passwd files
3) sendmail supports cyrus-sasl, sendmail does not support dovecot-sasl