Short version:

What is the correct way to configure the mail_location option for Mailidr format?

I've long had it setup this way:

    mail_location = maildir:/var/vmail/%d/%n

based on this guide:

https://www.linode.com/docs/email/postfix/email-with-postfix-dovecot-and-mysql

Is that correct?

Longer version:

After upgrading from Dovecot v2.0.x to v2.2.x yesterday I'm coming to the conclusion that I've got it configured wrong. This is probably compounded by my bright idea of explicitly setting the path separator prior to the upgrade like so:

separator = .

Because we're using Maildir I thought it would be useful to explicitly set the separator value to what the default is for Maildir. I figured this would be a good way to remind myself what the separator is by default. I also figured while I was merging the conf changes between v2.0 and v2.2 I could roll that additional change in also. Looks like that was a bad idea to include unnecessary changes until things had stabilized. I should know better; I was too optimistic for my own good.

Here is an example error message I ran into:

stat(/var/vmail/example.com/username/.dovecot.lda-dupes/tmp) failed: Not a directory

which is nearly identical (other than leading path) to what is shown here:

    http://www.dovecot.org/list/dovecot/2010-April/048227.html

Steffen Kaiser responded with, "You should not (must not) have home == maildir root." That is when I double-checked the guide that I mentioned above and found that I had followed their directions exactly for that conf setting. Looking at some other guides/tutorials shows something more like:

    mail_location = maildir:/var/vmail/%d/%n/Maildir

I assume the latter is how it's supposed to be done? If so, that would explain the problems I've had with Sieve scripts in the past until I explicitly set 'sieve_dir' like so:

    sieve_dir = /var/vmail/sieve/%d/%n/sieve_dir

I did review the official docs here:

    http://wiki2.dovecot.org/MailLocation/Maildir

but I didn't find where it explicitly warns against setting home == maildir root. It should probably be apparent, but it wasn't to me when I first configured that setting.

Thanks in advance for your help. If it turns out that the linode.com guide is wrong I'll create a Pull request to have that guide updated.