>> Just some quick ideas
>> * check if the mysql socket file has rw permissions for the dovecot user

# ls -l /var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock
srwxrwxrwx. 1 mysql mysql 0 Mar  1 19:33 /var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock

>> * Try to run the mysql query as user dovecot (su dovecot)

The dovecot user I set up is a non-interactive user
/sbin/nologin

I studied different setup guides, and all of them suggested setting up dovecot
with a non-interactive shell.
However the mysql client is world executable:
# ls -l /bin/mysql
-rwxr-xr-x. 1 root root 3533008 Feb  5 05:47 /bin/mysql

>> * Try to set the local ip instead of localhost (mysql makes a difference in
>> the ACL checks if you come from localhost)

I have tried with
connect = host=localhost dbname=servermail user='usermail'
password='gjwslegosoghjshloehg$_jsdgh'
and
connect = host=127.0.0.1 dbname=servermail user='usermail'
password='gjwslegosoghjshloehg$_jsdgh'

still doesn't work:
Mar  2 04:58:48 mail dovecot: auth-worker(5745): Error: mysql(127.0.0.1):
Connect failed to database (servermail): Access denied for user
'usermail'@'localhost' (using password: YES) - waiting for 1 seconds before
retry

> * Did mysql logged something useful?

I have turned on general-log in MySQL (actually mariadb):
A few things to note: connection 221 is me manually logging into the server
from the command line.
The other numbers are dovecot. I'm using the same credentials as the dovecot
config files.
(not sure if this is useful or not)

                                        221 Connect     mailuser@localhost as
anonymous on
                                        221 Query       select
@@version_comment limit 1
150302  9:18:33         221 Query       show databases
150302  9:18:38         221 Query       SELECT DATABASE()
                                        221 Init DB     servermail
                                        221 Query       show databases
                                        221 Query       show tables
                                        221 Field List  virtual_aliases
                                        221 Field List  virtual_domains
                                        221 Field List  virtual_users
150302  9:18:43         221 Query       show tables
150302  9:18:50         222 Connect     usermail@localhost as anonymous on
servermail
                                        222 Connect     Access denied for user
'usermail'@'localhost' (using password: YES)
                                        223 Connect     usermail@localhost as
anonymous on servermail
                                        223 Connect     Access denied for user
'usermail'@'localhost' (using password: YES)
150302  9:18:56         221 Query       select * from virtual_users
150302  9:19:19         224 Connect     usermail@localhost as anonymous on
servermail
                                        224 Connect     Access denied for user
'usermail'@'localhost' (using password: YES)