On 02/08/16 11:16, Timo Sirainen wrote:
On 08 Feb 2016, at 11:59, Timo Sirainen <t...@iki.fi> wrote:

On 08 Feb 2016, at 11:01, Nagy, Attila <b...@fsn.hu> wrote:
Hi,

Nearly every popular programming language has an LMTP/POP/IMAP implementation,
most of them suck in many different ways.
I don't know any server or library which provides a well-established,
compatible protocol frontend with an open backend API, which could be used to
easily make a custom storage backend for the LMTP/POP/IMAP frontend in any
language, in any programming paradigm, irregardless of the frontend
implementation.

Dovecot is very close to this: it speaks IMAP to the backend, but you still
have to make a nearly complete IMAP implementation, which is a PITA.

Therefore I am curious about your opinion: what about an HTTP-based open
backend (lib-storage) API to Dovecot?
We're planning on implementing http://jmap.io/ to Dovecot v2.3. It's close
enough to how Dovecot works internally (although we'd still need the threading
support) and also at least attempting to become a standard. We haven't really
started it yet though, so now would be a good time to give any alternative
suggestions or complaints about jmap :)
Oh, you were thinking about ability to provide IMAP/etc support for other
random servers, and have Dovecot act as kind of a middleware and translate the
requests. Maybe the answer is still jmap though? It would require jmap
lib-storage backend similar to imapc, which would be doable, although not
really something we're right now planning to implement.

Yeah, the opposite, in this case a jmap backend to Dovecot.
BTW, I think jmap is too high level and implementing a jmap server is very much like implementing an IMAP one.

I much more think of a pluggable, easy (remote) storage API, which has much less to do with IMAP, but can offer capabilities, which can help Dovecot (like the search and indexes).