On Wed, 16 Aug 2017, Matt Bryant wrote:

hmm if message cannot be written to disk surely it remains on mda queue
as not delviered and does not just disappear ? or am i reading this
wrong ?!

as Matt writes your MDA (aka dovecot-lda) returns with an exit code != 0 and your MTA should queue the message for later re-delivery.

IMHO, you should look there, if you call dovecot-lda correctly.

Dag Nygren <mailto:d...@newtech.fi>
16 August 2017 at 7:14 am
Thanks for all the advice on how to configure systemd
not to loose my emails after every update. Much appreciated.

But there could be other reasons for the mailboxes not being
writable and what I am really asking for is for
dovecot-lda not to loose the incoming emails into thin air
in these cases.

Could we have some kind of collective place/places where they would
be saved in this case and then reintroduced into the system
after the problem is fixed? One file for example?

Best
Dag
Dag Nygren <mailto:d...@newtech.fi>
14 August 2017 at 4:24 pm
Hi!

Have been using Fedora as my dovecot server for
some time and am struggling with systemd
at every update.
Fedora insists on setting
ProtectSystem=full in both dovecot.service and postfix.service
at every update of the packages.

This makes my mailstore which is in /usr/local/var/mail
Read-only.

And this makes the incoming emails delivered through
dovecot-lda disappear into /dev/null until I notice
the problem and we lose incoming emails.

My question is:
Is there any way to set up a failback mailstore
for these occasions?

PS! I really hate systemd - Destroys the UNIX way of
doing things with a heavy axe....

Best
Dag

- -- Steffen Kaiser