On 11/20/17 6:15 AM, Aki Tuomi wrote:

On 20.11.2017 16:12, Jeff Kletsky wrote:
I'm in the process of moving from LDA to LMTP (Postfix upstream) prior
to a transition off `nix accounts to virtual accounts and am stumped
by LMTP reporting

     dovecot: lmtp(10019, j...@example.com): Error: Relative home
directory paths not supported: 0

LDA does /not /have any problems with PAM or passwd-file passdb/userdb
and the ubiquitous definition of

     mail_location = maildir:~/Maildir:LAYOUT=fs

I have yet to be able to get LMTP to deliver mail, nor have I found
anything on the Dovecot wiki to describe how to represent that the
mail_location is <whatever/userdb/returned/for/home>/Maildir

I'd prefer to localize the user-to-file-space mapping localized to
Dovecot (rather than split within Postfix and Dovecot)

I'd definitely appreciate any pointers to web pages or specific
suggestions as to how to resolve this.

Excerpts of Dovecot local.conf follow, full doveconf -n output on
request. The/users /file is in the same format as FreeBSD
/etc/master.passwd with name, password, UID, gid, home_dir, and shell
meaningfully populated. The configuration below works with LDA
(end-to-end). With LMTP, it identifies <j...@example.com> as a valid
destination, but fails on delivery with the "relative home directory
paths" error message.

passdb {
   driver = passwd-file
   args = /path/to/users
}
userdb {
   driver = passwd-file
   args = username_format=%n /path/to/users
}

# See http://wiki2.dovecot.org/MailLocation/Maildir
# https://wiki.dovecot.org/VirtualUsers/Home

mail_location = maildir:~/Maildir:LAYOUT=fs
# mail_location = maildir:%h/Maildir:LAYOUT=fs

Thanks!

Jeff
That seems like lmtp is not doing variable expansion for user settings.
What version of dovecot are you running?

Aki

$ sudo jexec mail dovecot --version
2.2.32 (dfbe293d4)

Jeff