We have the same problem, with a twist. When Thunderbird deletes a folder, it
is still shown by the GUI. Dovecot deleted the folder correctly, and the
sunscriptions file is also correct. Some other times, on shared folders,
Thunderbird refuses to delete; in this case, apple mail on iphone can delete
successfully. This suggests that the problem is in Thunderbird's code.