On 14 Aug 2019, at 22.35, Amir Caspi via dovecot <dovecot@dovecot.org> wrote:

> On Aug 14, 2019, at 1:26 PM, Timo Sirainen via dovecot <dovecot@dovecot.org
> <mailto:dovecot@dovecot.org>> wrote:
>>
>> It probably has something to do with using mbox format. Are the IMAP UIDs
>> changing unexpectedly? Errors/warnings logged related to it? Unfortunately
>> it's a rather troublesome mailbox format. There are likely some bugs in
>> Dovecot mbox code, but it's difficult and time consuming to try to reproduce
>> any of the bugs so I've mostly given up trying.
>
> I'm not getting any errors or warnings as far as I can tell, and I don't
> think the UIDs are changing unexpectedly -- messages are not getting
> re-downloaded randomly.  That is, everything SEEMS to be working fine, as far
> as I can tell.
>
> So many people still use mbox that I hope we can fix this issue.
>
> I'm happy to help test or provide further debug output... this problem is
> certainly reproducible here, and it seems like lbutlr has a similar problem,
> so hopefully we can address at least this one...
>
> (I'm also happy to give you the Junk mailbox and index files... there's
> nothing sensitive in my spam!)

It's not very helpful to look at the indexes after the problem already
happened. But if you can find a reliably reproducible way to make this happen
starting from an empty mailbox, I could look into it further. Ideally it would
be a standalone script that reproduces the problem every time. Possibly
something like:

 * Deliver mails with procmail
 * Read the mails with doveadm fetch
 * Maybe expunge the mails with doveadm expunge
 * Keep checking the uid and date.saved with doveadm fetch to see if they
unexpectedly change at some point