Why convert/alias a...@aaa.com to b@bbb.local?
Why not setup dovecot to have a mailbox and receive mail for
a...@aaa.com, allowing sieve to run for a...@aaa.com, and users login as
a...@aaa.com on IMAP to check their mail?

That would work if users only had one alias, but they don't - they have
several aliases.

On my system i am using virtual accounts in postfix with
virtual_mailbox_maps.
For user alias im using postfix virtual_alias_maps.

u...@example.com is a mailbox someone can login to IMAP with.
They have al...@example.com -> u...@example.com with the alias map.

If someone sends an email to al...@example.com it ends up in the
u...@example.com inbox via LMTP

  Jun 10 13:38:23 postfix/lmtp[1953783]: 4QdlXt4pn1z7Vv0h:
to=<u...@example.com>, orig_to=<al...@example.com>,
  relay=smtp.example.com[private/dovecot-lmtp], delay=2.1,
delays=1.7/0.01/0/0.44, dsn=2.0.0, status=sent (250 2.0.0
<u...@example.com> N9ypKw61hGTzxB0AbpFOwA Saved)

For sieve plugin i have in dovecot.conf:

  sieve_vacation_use_original_recipient = no
  sieve_vacation_dont_check_recipient = no
  sieve_vacation_send_from_recipient = no
  sieve_redirect_envelope_from = sender
  sieve_user_email = %u

And as a sieve rule i have:

  require ["vacation"];
  # rule:[Out of Office]
  if true {
    vacation :days 1 :addresses
["u...@example.com","al...@example.com"] :subject "TEST - Out of
Office" "This is a test reply for the out of office auto responder.";
  }

This works for me. If someone sends an email to al...@example.com they
will receive an auto reply with the From: header as al...@example.com
and the envelope-from as <> which end users wont see.

Thanks, tried you settings and they are almost the same I am using too, but:

1) "sieve_user_email = %u" creates a warning: "Warning: sieve: Invalid
address value for setting `sieve_user_email': Missing domain"

2) Still - I see vacation replies created, the issue though is that I am
using different relay hosts and whatever
"sieve_vacation_send_from_recipient" ist set to, postfix tries to
deliver the mail directly to the receiving MX and does not respect my
relay hosts.

What I am currently trying to figure out is, is there a way to tell
postfix in case it is a vacation reply with no envelope to but a valid
from header use that from header as a rule for choosing the right relay
host.

--
Cheers
spi