> 17.10.2023 12:22, Filip Hanes via dovecot пишет:
> > S3-compatible storage is very good for multi-server installations where
> you need redundancy, availability. S3 is basically HTTP server so you can
> code your own logic on stored emails, balancers, caches, deduplication,
> compression, encryption it does't need to be off-the-shelf storage.
>

> is S3 better then cephfs?

The drawbacks of cephfs is you need to have the mds. If you scale the mds you
could have some issues. I think even in newer ceph releases you need to start
pin them on pools / directories.
I still have issues with cephfs mounts locking up on a hyperconverged setup so
I am not using it in production, but I am still on a older version.

The flip side to using the mds, is that it is caching a lot of meta data so in
theory you could have a better performance with cephfs than writing directly to
rados. Writing to rados directly seems to me the most stable.

What I thought was super strange about the s3/radowsgw layer is that if you
rename a file, the file is actually copied to a new name. It is not renamed. I
am not sure if this is a standard and still like this, but s3 is just developed
for a different use. So it depends on how you use s3/radosgw, object storage
directly or cephfs.