Le 17 oct. 2023 à 13:12, Marc <m...@f1-outsourcing.eu> a écrit :

                         Is s3 not to slow for this?

                    I think the clue is in the name "s3-
                    compatible".

                    Clearly calling out to "real" (AWS) S3
                    would be a non-starter.

                    But a local installation of something
                    like CEPH, MinIO or whatever on
     the
                    same LAN ? I'd think that should be
                    workable, no ?
               Do you know of anything that does this reliably?

               I tested a few years ago with ceph[1] but at that
               point there was some
     issues where it had a 2x write applification (on top of the 3x) if I
     remember correctly.
          All of this is if not dead end will be a lots of complexity
          and
     inefficiency and a lot of waste of money. Only the application know
     how to
     things efficiently and with consistency.

     S3-compatible storage is very good for multi-server installations
     where you
     need redundancy, availability. S3 is basically HTTP server so you can
     code
     your own logic on stored emails, balancers, caches, deduplication,
     compression, encryption it does't need to be off-the-shelf storage.

The problem is a bit what everyone understands as s3. I associate this indeed
also with an http endpoint on object storage. But the ceph plugin skips this
http and talks directly to object store. I don't think you would like to
operate on this http level. If I look at this page of ceph[1], it also looks
like you do not want to get yourself involved in deduplication.

[1]
https://docs.ceph.com/en/reef/dev/deduplication/

Moreover, following Filip remark about block deduplication, having any kind of
deduplication that is not optimized for the email case (where attachments are
always embed in slightly different documents) would make it ineffective.
Is it really worse bothering deploying a whole Ceph cluster for that ?