On 1/26/2024 3:02 PM, joe a wrote:
The "mailto:"; function does not seem to place a copy of the sent message in the "Sent" folder. ...so a mailbox owner might have a ready means to track messages potentially sent under their name.

The notify action has a specific purpose - it sends a notification. Outside that scope you can use whatever means that are available to (hint) notify the mailbox owner that they sent a notification.

Good news ... there are a number of ways to skin this cat.

First, the mailto: scheme of the URI supports a 'cc' parameter:
mailto:a...@a.com?subject=...&cc=b...@b.com;c...@c.com
So, just ad the current user's own email address as a cc back to himself.

From what I see in the enotify code, "bcc" is not supported, but I could be wrong. Note the delimiter between multiple CC's, the semicolon. As I was looking that up it seems different platforms support different delimiters. If you need this and semicolon doesn't work, try a simple comma, or a hex comma+space: b...@b.com%2c$2...@c.com

Another way is to notify the current user (as sender)  is to simply add another "notify "mailto:${current_user_notification_address}..."; right after your first one. Then have Those inbound notification messages filtered into a dedicated "Sent Notifications" folder.

Here is a note from the 2019 Dovecot List by Stephan Bosch that's related to this topic:
https://dovecot.org/list/dovecot/2019-October/117341.html
That refers to RFC 8580 to do exactly what you're asking without a "loopback" email, File Carbon Copy (FCC) - ;TL/DR; it's not implemented in Dovecot/Pidegonhole (yet).
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/rfc8580

While the 'mailto:' scheme is the most common, the decades-old "trick" of emailing a phone provider to send an SMS is really fragile and easily subject to failure. Personally I'd prefer using Twilio or a similar service to completely eliminate that problem. I'd also try using the "tel:" schema, but that doesn't appear to be implemented in the enotify extension.

Another option for email-to-SMS notifications is to http: or mailto: a service like IFTTT or Zapier, and have them redirect the message to wherever the user actually prefers their messaging - maybe Slack or Skype or flashing the lights in their office.

I hope that helps.