This is ... bug like.

The user moves a folder inside another, the resulting path exceeds the maximum
length, the folder's content is no longer accessible, the user complains.

Double trouble. The user proceeded to move the parent folder. Most subfolders
moved as requested. Those whose path exceeded maxlength are stuck in the
origin, and the full tree is no longer accessible: it is still there, you can
see it, but the mail client says it was deleted.

I lost count of the number of times I had to rescue users out of this mess, by
going in manually into dovecot's storage.

So...

+4. dovecot refuses to move folders if the resulting path exceeds the maximum
length.