Apologies, just to be completely explicit, I should have stated that of course
in every configuration I mentioned the `.dovecot.sieve` file always pointed to
the user’s main sieve script, wherever I may have placed it at the time.

So for example my centralized configuration is as follows when mirroring the
default configuration but in a non-home top-level-directory (TLD):

    /var/spool/dovecot/home/m/user/morse/.dovecot.sieve ->
/var/spool/dovecot/home/m/user/morse/sieve/default.sieve

which does not work, and as follows when it does (with the warning that
specified sieve location is a file rather than a script):