On 26/06/2024 20:48, pgnd via dovecot wrote:
for anyone interested, for dovecot v2.3.14+ @ Fedora,

    https://src.fedoraproject.org/rpms/dovecot/blob/rawhide/f/dovecot-2.3.14-opensslv3.patch

Until this discussion started I didn't realize that I've been using the unsupported version of openssl 3 for quite some time with dovecot 2.3.21 on Fedora 39 and probably previous versions of Fedora too, without any issues. As others have mentioned it may depend on which features are in use.

I actually also compiled a vanilla 2.3.21 (i.e. without the fedora patches) for development work and didn't see any issues, though I wouldn't use it for a live system without the patches.

I can understand that with 2.4 getting quite close (and after having originally an earlier plan for it) that Ox wasn't planning to invest in backporting stuff to 2.3 branches. There is nothing stopping the community from doing that where needed. But given the issues mentioned, can anyone point to reproducable issue reports with the current packaged versions in Debian? (apart from the non working mail crypt plugin mentioned by Aki).

Thanks

John