I don't think you can extrapolate "correct" behaviour for Confluence and
Twiki modules from Apt in this way.  What is correct for Confluence (read
Textile) users?  Doxia should try to get the output format as close as
possible to what the users of these external markup languages expect.

E.g. I can't find a way in Confluence to get a paragraph to render inside an
item list.  You can get a line break (with new line or \\ escape).  That's
what Doxia should do.