There have been 2 or 3 messages in the last few days on overcoming the SP2 compatibility issue. I think that all the fixes proposed thus far globally disable SP2’s “active content” protection. That protection is an important feature of the SP. As much as it displeases me, until I receive assurance that I can use DQSB without compromising my system security, I’m using the Google Deskbar as a poor alternative.

--
Paul

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Monty Scroggins
Sent: Wednesday, October 20, 2004 5:58 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [DQSD-Users] Quick Search bar has quit working...

Yeah sp2 has created a problem with dqsd.  but I dont believe all these problems are related to the new security service in sp2..  but.. first things first..

If dqsd is installed with sp2, it should still work, but you should get a dialog which asks you whether to authorize dqsd to run.  Its just an annoyance, and the toolbar should otherwise work normally..

At the top of the dqsd.net site there is a link to a page that shows a couple of registry edits you can make to change to allow dqsd to run without the errors... - http://www.dqsd.net/sp2.htm    -or- you can just turn off the "Security Center" service in the admin tools.   You can always reverse these changes later.

Make one of these changes and see if any behavior is changed.    I think you still have an installation problem...  Or you already have the toolbar running and you are attempting to initiate it a second time...   If you do have an installation problem, I would uninstall dqsd, reboot, rename the Quick Search Toolbar directory so it cant find any files left behind, and re-install it again..   A clean install should  load without any warnings etc..

Monty

Chuck Johnston wrote:

I have the latest version of DSQD available from the site.
I am running XP PRO (SP2) with IE 6.)

After (re)installing the latest version of DSQD, I right clicked on the task bar and selected “Quick Search”. I immediately received a warning from IE security that I was about to launch a “restricted file” to which I responded by clicking on “Allow Blocked content” – which I have had to do ever since installing SP2. However, DQSD has always WORKED up to this point!

Now, I also receive a second warning message:
“Unable to instantiate DQSDTools.launcher: Automation server can’t create object.”

After clicking on “OK” (the only choice), I receive the following message:
”The DQSD helper DLL is not correctly installed.”

THEN, I receive another warning:
The Web Page you are viewing is trying to close the window.
Do you want to close this window?

If I choose “Yes”, the DQSD bar appears, but is inaccessible.

If I choose “NO”, I receive the following warning…
“There was a problem initializing the enhanced keyboard support – some key combination and hot keys may not work (Error ‘Automation server can’t create object’)”

The only choice is “OK”, which I click.

The tool bas is accessible, but, the hot key is not responsive, and, when I type text into the tool bar, I receive the following message:
An error ([object error]/Object expected) occurred while trying to run the search “gg”
to which I respond with “OK”.

Then, nothing happens. The tool bar sits there, useless, and no search appears. If I right click in the tool bar, I receive a “Script error” message (“OK”)

I use DQSD many times a day…maybe dozens of time a day. I REALLY miss it! Any idea what’s going on? HELP!

Chuck in Taiwan

E-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Phone: 886 (0)4-22922149

Fax: 886 (0)4-2295-5927

Mobile: 886 (0)933-534363

Include the "0" for calls from INSIDE Taiwan only.

CCT Home Page: http://mca.org.tw

---

---
Incoming mail is certified Virus Free.