Nick

> Mark, it seems there is an issue with the output produced
> from VSS in the History/Update list.  If a file is added or
> removed, it is difficult to ascertain where the file was
> added or removed to.  You get a project name, but its not a
> full path like an update, that looks like this:
>
> Update file = DataShaper.sln
> Update Directory =
> $/Gloria/Source/Production/Syngenta/Gloria/Deployment/DataShaper
>
> Add file = DBTestFixture.cs
> Add Directory = DB.TestCases
>
> The occurs for a Remove.  On my current project on which I
> did a bit of exploration, it seems we have a bunch of
> projects all called the same (DB.TestCases for example),
> which exist underneath different parent directories.  In this
> situation it is impossible to know which DB.TestCases had the
> DBTestFixture.cs added.

Yes, it looks like a show stopper for this approach.

> It could be I have missed something, so I am not 100%
> discounting this method with VSS.  Even if VSS is the only
> tool that couldnt benefit from discriminate file access, it
> is definitely worth considering for the other SCC tools.

I think you missed my point.  An SCC system is usually capable of bringing an existing
working directory 'up to date'.  I do not think that Draco should take on this role.

I just checked the following with VSS :-
- Created a large project in the VSS repository (lots of files, some large some small)
- Did a SS.EXE GET - it took about 2 mins
- Added another file to the repository (bypassing the working directory)
- Did another SS.EXE GET in the working directory - it took about 5 seconds

I know that VSS is not client/server, therefore accessing a repository over the WAN
might
mean that the cost of checking if a file changed is just as slow as fetching the file
fresh (at least for small files).

The point is that, if Draco were modified to allow a fixed working directory to be
specified, then we could rely on the SCC implementation to bring the working directory
up
to date prior to a build.

Mark