Hello group -

I am new to this list, but I have been a fan of Drake gear for a long time (Swan gear
too, for that matter).

Currently, I have a Drake TR-7 that has been acting up, and not being all that
technical (sorry to say), I don't know where to start trying to troubleshoot this rig.

Lately, I cannot get my rig to work on any ham frequency.  Right now, for example, I
have the bandswitch set to 3.5 and the dial says I am on 17935.0.  At other times, it
reads in the 18000. range.  This is the case from 1.5 to 14 MHz.  When I switch to 15
meters however, the frequency changes to 33343.0, and it remains the same on the 28.5
setting.

I thought I might have extremely dirty bandswitches but I have cleaned them many times
and it seemed to help a little at first.  Then, if I left the rig turned on for a
couple of hours, it would eventually work on 40 and 20 meters, but not on 80 meters.
At this point, it makes no difference at all.

Just as I am typing this message, the rig suddenly started to work again on 40 meters,
and I could tune the rig just fine, but when I switched to 80 meters to see if it
worked, nadda, so I went back to 40 meters and the rig again gave me the old 17 MHz
freq garbage.

My hunch is that there is something that needs cleaning other than the bandswitches,
but perhaps I am wrong.

Any suggestions from the list?

Thanks a lot -
Bill-N7MFB