-----Original Message-----
From: "Rocco Lardiere"<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Bill Todd"<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri Sep 05 17:26:36 PDT 2003
Subject: Re: [drakelist] Question about "acting up" TR-7

>Bill,
>
>The phase lock loop seems to be not locking on any band.  You might begin by
>checking the power supply voltages inside the TR7 to see if the DC/DC
>converters are working properly.  If not, the dial drifts all over the place
>to random freqs.
>
>There are lots of other things to check.  Often, carefully removing,
>cleaning, and reseating the circuit cards can cure problems.  Follow the
>instructions in the service manual.  Some cards, such as the digital display
>card, are tricky to remove, but you need to do it to gain acess to the cards
>below it.  Its a real learning experience.  I went through all of this to
>make my TR7A work - but it is very reliable now.

Rocco, N6KN, and some others invited me to try the following with my ailing TR-7.

"There are lots of other things to check. Often, carefully removing,
cleaning, and reseating the circuit cards can cure problems. Follow the
instructions in the service manual. Some cards, such as the digital display
card, are tricky to remove, but you need to do it to gain acess to the cards
below it. Its a real learning experience."

He, and others were right on the button.  I borrowed a can of "M.G.Chemicals
Electrosolve Contact Cleaner" from a local TV repair shop this afternoon and after
cleaning the bandswitches again and taking off the main board (on the top of the rig),
and carefully removing and then reseating all the boards that I could get to move, the
rig worked just fine.

I gotta tell ya - it is difficult to buy a can of contact cleaner that does not also
contain a lubricating agent.  Rat Shack offers a cleaner for just under $9.00 but it
also contains a lubricant of some kind.  Anyway, I am glad I stopped by this TV repair
shop on my lunch hour and the owner allowed me to borrow his can.

I told him that I would bring in some horizontal sweep tubes that I have laying around
in payment for the "rental".  Fair exchange if you ask me (lol).

Bill-N7MFB