Hello Dan;
I have had problems with my FS-4 that were similar to the symptoms you
describe and the repair was rather simple, which may (or may not) mirror
your situation. The FS-4 uses wafer switches similar to those found in our
other classic Drake rigs. Over the years, these wafer switches build up
oxidation which interferes with the switch's operation. Before I would try
any advanced diagnostic/repair techniques as offered by Herbert Schulz, I
suggest you clean the wafer switches with DeXoit and see if this clears up
your problem. Disassembling the FS-4 is rather easy and all of the
components are readily accessible. Be sure to remove the top inner shield to
gain access to the wafer switches under the shield. I use DeXoit D-100 in
the small dispenser bottle rather than the spray can, so that I can
concentrate the cleaner on the switch contacts rather than spray down the
whole assembly.

If this does not solve your problem, I personally would appreciate you and
Herbert posting your discovery and repair techniques to the reflector rather
than go private. We can all benefit from Herbert's considerable expertise in
this matter.

Best regards;
Gene
W5DDW