"Grant Youngman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> made an utterence to the drakelist gang
On 20 Aug 2004 at 22:32, Dan Cotsirilos wrote:

> .. <snip>  The last R-4C I parted out was a radio that
> I paid full price for and it was a basket case! the tuning was all screwed
> up, it had a hum and a couple other things wrong. about 10 people or so on
> here all benefited by repairing there broken radios

Since it may be my initial post that started some of this discussion,
let me be clear where I was going.  I draw a distinction between an
economically unrestorarable radio  that is parted out and a radio that
is simply stripped of its options so that every possible separate
piece can be sold independently.  I  still have several "parts" radios
around that I offer pieces to when I see someone who needs
something, and have used pieces from to complete the restoration
of other radios.

What "chalks my jaw", as they say,  is the kit radio .. an R-4C with
absolutely no options for example, when the same seller also has
for sale an NB-4, 3 Drake filters, some extra band crystals, etc.
Most likely the R-4C started out as a nice radio you might want to
own.   Or guys who sell an HRO-60 with NO coil sets, yet they have
4 coil sets, a storage box, the original shipping carton, the original
manual,  and a calibrator individually for sale at the same time.

Last study I saw, a Mercedes was typically worth about $1M as
parts.

But I have no quarrel with making use of the bones of a derelict to
resurrect a treasure :-)

Grant/NQ5T