-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Al Parker
Sent: Thursday, February 10, 2005 4:00 PM
To: Matthew E. McNeely; drakelist@www.zerobeat.net
Subject: Re: [drakelist] Tr-4 Power Output

"Al Parker" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> made an utterence to the drakelist gang
Hi Matt,
    No, it's not normal, but not necessarily soft tubes.  Is it that bad
on all bands?  If so, then it's probably not the tubes, as they'll lose
output on the higher bands and keep it on lower, unless very bad.  You
might check your plate voltage, if one of the diodes in the voltage
doubler's gone bad you could have low voltage and might still be able to
load to 400ma, getting maybe 150w input, and 100 out.   At normal
voltages, 400ma at ~700v, you'd have 250-290w in, and should see 160-180+
out.
    How accurate are the peak measurements?  If you're seeing 120w out on
SB peaks on the plate meter, that's reasonable, it's slow, and you
shouldn't see more than 1/3, maybe occasionally 1/2, of what you load up
to on CW.
73,
Al, W8UT
New Bern, NC