Tom Hammond <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> made an utterence to the drakelist gang ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Hi Jim:

And many thanks for posting this info. If anyone is considering building this kit, I'd suggest you order your PLL ICs very soon! Before they're all gone. At about $4 each, they're not terribly expensive, and it might not hurt to buy a couple extras.

Fred (FAR Circuits) does NOT presently include this component (PLL) in the 'kit' of devices which he offers as an available order option with his PC boards for the Hageman Drake Xtal. Eliminator kit.

For those of you who have possibly been holding off building one of these kits, please allow me to say that I've now build three (3) of them and they work WONDERFULLY!

I had some problems with the first kit, but they were resolved. The quality of the initial run of PC boards was less than desired... because the Hageman boards were drawn to be manufactures with plated-thru-holes, which FAR Circuits cannot provide. As a result, the component pads were too small and when component holes were drilled, many of the pads were virtually "drilled out", leaving little or not copper to solder to. Additionally, the land widths were pretty small and some easy to lift during soldering.

I redrew the PC boards, using Hageman's component placement, but using wider lands and larger solder pads. FAR Circuits now uses my board layouts, which have proven much easier to build with. Additionally, FAR offers a display adapter board which allows you to plug-attach the display, rather than having to wire directly to it. See my documentation comments on the Hageman Drake Xtal. Elim. at www.n0ss.net for more info.

If you do decide to build this kit, either into am MS-4 speaker enclosure, or into a separate enclosure, such as the Hammond 1598D enclosure, I can supply printed vinyl front panel decals for these devices... I can also supply pix of completed front panels if you are interested. I have NO INTENTION of making $$$ on the sale of the decals, but I _do_ want to recover the printing/mailing costs.

73,

Tom Hammond    N0SS