Garey Barrell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> made an utterance to the drakelist gang
Jason -

You are correct. ONLY the "/CW" models have the 500 Hz crystal filter. It is an 8 pole crystal filter (similar to the C Line filters) and so has much sharper skirts than the L/C filter in the "B".

As for which one, it all depends on how much money you want to spend. The "/Cw RIT" will run close to $1000. Way overpriced for what it is, but they just didn't make that many of them. Unfortunately, RIT is just about a necessity for CW operation today, since so many use very narrow filters and don't know how to tune around with their transceivers looking for signals! Just in case you're thinking of adding RIT to a TR-4CW, that's not very simple either. The PTO in the "RIT" model has an RIT input, but none of the other 4 Series do. The 'RIT' PTO is the same as used in the TR-7.

Personally, if CW is your preferred mode, I don't know why you would want a transceiver. The transceiver was designed for SSB, since most ops today INSIST that you be on EXACTLY their frequency or they won't talk to you. Sadly, thanks to transceivers, many CW ops are also "tuning challenged" today as well.

Anyway, unless you are planning mobile operation, or are extremely space limited, a B or C Line would be a far superior station for CW operation. The extra 100 W or so out of the TR series over the T-4X(any) series is insignificant. A potential compromise would be a TR-4C with an R-4C, which gives you "RIT" and "dual receive" along with multiple filter choices on receive.

73, Garey - K4OAH
Atlanta

Drake C-Line Service Manual
<http://www.k4oah.com>

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

[EMAIL PROTECTED] made an utterance to the drakelist gang

hi all,

I've just about convinced the XYL to give me the goahead to buy a nice
TR-4C or TR-4Cw if I can find one.  But I have a couple questions about
their operation before I start looking for the checkbook...

For any TR-3 or TR-4any model, what is the bandwidth (passband) for CW
operation on these units?  I typically run my R-4B in the .4 mode for more
narrow bandwidth and rejection of signals from stations 1 or 2 KC away.
Am I correct in thinking that only the TR-4Cw has a narrow CW filter
(500Hz for TR-4Cw and TR-4Cw RIT)?

I'm trying to figure out if I should look for another R-4B/T-4XB pair or
if the TR-4Cw (or another model) will give me a narrow CW bandpass filter.

thanks!

--
73 Jason N1SU
http://n1su.com/