Rick Lutzinger <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> made an utterance to the drakelist gang
At 05:52 AM 12/6/2005, Ron Wagner wrote:
Folks,
I have encountered a strange issue here in the shack. I have a spool of coax which has been with me for 20 odd years. When I went to make jumpers, I find that the copper shield is kind of sticky. It would seam that the outer shield has "leached" into the inside of the coax. Is this coax any good? I don't think the coax was exposed to weather, other then storage in an unheated garage. Is this normal? Is this what is called contamination, as in non-contaminating coax?

Thanks for the off topic bandwidth.

73,
Ron

Ron,

Some direct burial type coax contains what is called "floodant" which is used to prevent ingress of moisture and water thru small nicks or cuts. This may be what you are seeing here. It is a sticky clear substance. Gooey stuff. What coax is it and who made it?

Rick

Rick Lutzinger  KD6ZR
Patterson, Georgia
Web Page: http://www.accessatc.net/~rjlutz/hampage.html