Gerald Reynolds <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> made an utterance to the drakelist gang
I notice in the calibration procedure of the W-4 Forward and Reverse scales, (per W4 manual downloaded Adobe file from Drake Musuem) the 50 ohm load is left connected, albiet connections are REVERSED at the meter jacks. Readings for 100 watt are 70.7 volts rms, and for 1,000 watt is 224.0 volts rms. Both readings w/VTVM at the load. Signal source is 14 Mhz. Forward and Reverse adjustments are simply "flipping" the meter. This makes sense to me.

Now the good stuff, the WV-4 calibration procedure is similar with the following differences.
1. Signal source is 30 Mhz (per Drake manual).
Signal source is 50 Mhz (per pdf Adobe file downloaded from Drake Museum).
This frequency difference is not too confusing to me. Maybe difference in lab equipment sources?

2. To adjust Reverse pots, the coax connector to the load is DISCONNECTED at the rear of WV-4 (per Drake manual). Spilling all that RF out into the open air.HI HI. To adjust Reverse pots, the coax connectors are REVERSED at the rear of WV-4, (per Adobe file downloaded from Drake Museum). Again "flipping the meter".

3. Watts = Volts to be observed for FORWARD adjustments are 50 watts = 50 V rms and 500 watts = 158.1 V rms, both measured w/ VTVM at the load. (per Drake manual). Watts = Volts for FORWARD and REVERSE adjustments are 70 watts = 59.16 Volts rms and 700 watts = 187.0 Volts rms, both also measured w/VTVM at the load. (per Adobe file downloaded from Drake Musuem).

Summary: To adjust for REVERSE scale, (per Drake manual), the load is DISCONNECTED, the signal source still hooked to 'Xmtr' jack, and 'Reverse pots' are tweaked so WV-4 meter reads same wattage as done during the FORWARD adjustments. I guess we are assuming the signal is being "bounced back" from an OPEN load. There is NO reading taken w/VTVM. This also makes sense to me, kinda. To adjust REVERSE pots, (per downloaded Adobe file), the load is NOT DISCONNECTED, and 'Reverse pots' are tweaked similar to 'Forward pot' adjuctments. ("flipping the meter").

Is there a mistake in the manual? How about the watt = volt differences? Any engineers out there?
I opologize for the length of this posting.
73, Jerry, KB7QQ.