Kevin LaHaie <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> made an utterance to the drakelist gang
Hello again.

In final testing of the T4XB I managed to revive, all is well EXCEPT it seems to require LOTS of mic gain, and even then I don't think the full potential output is being realized. Stations I talk to daily on a variety of gear all say I am not nearly loud on the barefoot T4XB compared to the Kenwood, Icom, or my TR4C.

On tuneup, pretty easy to get 110+ watts out. I have used both a Kenwood MC50 and a Shure 450 II microphone (high impedance selected in both cases) and it takes a full WHISTLE into the mic to get the output meter to hit anywhere near full scale. Normal voice meter deflection is about 20 watts, even with the gain wide open.

I have tried all the 12AX7's I have, no real difference (except to find one that was a real dud!) so I don't think that's the problem.

Is there a particular component that would create lower than usual drive levels in the audio chain? since TUNE gives normal output levels?

As always, thanks in advance to a great list

-Kevin K7ZS

---
[This E-mail Scanned for viruses by Online Northwest]